Fighting Parkinson’s, and living your life…today!!

Congratulations — you made it to the last week of the November to Remember, No Excuses November, 30-day Challenge 2023 to do the scaled-down version of the Parkinson’s Recipe for Recovery®. Let’s continue forward by living your life…today!!

Here is an excerpt from my Parkinson’s daily journal from fourteen years ago today:

”                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              “
No, I was not writing with invisible ink. Simply, I was not writing at all because I could not. November 17, 2009 was my last daily journal entry, and in March of 2010, I started this blog.

My November 17, 2009 entry was difficult to write (and hard for me to read, even now):

“11/17/09. Up at 4. Eight hours in bed. Got up a few times to use the bathroom, but no problem going back to sleep.

I feel rested and stiff…slow moving, but the weighted feeling of yesterday is gone. Got to the kitchen at 4:09. Expecting a great day today.”

I had written in the daily journal every day for almost two months, and I could write no more. The pain was too intense and barely anything was readable after the first two letters of each word.

However, I had listened to my body the day before and went to bed at 8:00pm. Apparently, I needed the extra rest.

As you can see from above, my 51-day Parkinson’s Daily Journal came to an end because of increased symptoms taking away my writing abilities. It took a large dose of faith to continue with the Recipe at that point, but I did. (If you wish to read my entire Parkinson’s Daily Journal, you can find it in Appendix One of my book, Fighting Parkinson’s…and Winning).

Hindsight tells me that it was a blessing that I could no longer write in my daily journal. When you read through the Journal, yes, there is a lot of hope and faith, and there is a lot of love for my wife and children. However, I will have to admit that there is a whole lot of being consumed with living Parkinson’s instead of living life.

Looking at it now, I see that I was measuring my deterioration, from how long it took me to get to the kitchen each morning to how stiff I was or how painful my rigidity had become.

I was a couple of months into doing the Recipe, and I had yet to let go of my perfectionism. Since I was documenting my Parkinson’s recovery, my perfectionism told me that I needed to document everything “perfectly,” right down to each thing I could no longer do each day that I could do the day before, including a full and complete analysis of my symptoms right down to the comparison of “are my symptoms better or worse today than they were yesterday.” Sound familiar?

When I no longer could write in the daily journal, I stopped paying so much attention to the minutiae of the symptoms, and I stopped comparing each day to the day before. Since I was not documenting these things on a daily basis, my need to be perfect about what was going on with the symptoms disappeared, and my ability to be in the moment of what I was doing grew.

The symptoms became nothing more than a reminder that I had more work to do in my recovery. I stopped looking at the symptoms and focused on living my life…each day!!

I know I had been measuring those things so I would know when I was recovering. How foolish was I. I had overlooked the fact that every day when I woke up and got out of bed and did my Recipe, I was recovering…each day!!

That’s right, recovering…moment by moment…recovering, just in the doing! And, I did my Recipe because I needed to bring soul, mind, and body balance back into my life, and because I had faith that I would be cured. Even in the midst of my complaining in my Parkinson’s daily journal, look at the last thing I wrote on November 17, 2009, “Expecting a great day today.” That is faith. You can have it, too!

If you lack faith in your recovery, you stay in bed or you sleep so much you don’t know if it is day or night, and you don’t do the Recipe…what would be the point…you have no faith you will be cured.

Faith is an interesting thing. When you are experiencing wonderful things in life, faith in yourself and your life is easy and natural. When you are experiencing difficulties in life, faith in yourself and your life seems difficult and unnatural.

Where you make progress in life is when you are experiencing difficulties in life and you still can find faith in yourself and faith in your life. This is living your life…today!!

For those of you who are struggling with the Parkinson’s and shaky with your faith in yourself and in your life, please seize this opportunity. Seize the opportunity to begin your recovery by having faith in yourself and faith in your life, which leads to faith in your recovery. Seize the opportunity to make this your November to Remember!

Right here, right now, today, look inside yourself, find that spark of faith you used to have but misplaced somewhere along the way, and grab onto it, light it up, and say, “I have the power to heal myself.”

Please remember to hold onto that spark of faith strongly…you will need it to fight the Parkinson’s on the bumpy road ahead. And while you are holding tightly to your spark of faith, take action against the Parkinson’s, do the Recipe, and be your own cure! You are worth it!

Make the commitment to cure yourself from Parkinson’s!

Okay, everybody, put big smiles on your faces and chant together so the whole world can hear:

“Parkinson’s is curable.
I am my own Parkinson’s cure.
I am slowing, halting, and reversing the progression of my Parkinson’s.
I am extraordinary.
I am recovery.
I am doing great!
And, I am worth it!!!”

Each and every one of you is winning and you are worth it!!

35 Responses to Fighting Parkinson’s, and living your life…today!!

4. Martin says:

7. Bob says:

Amen

летки моего мозга живы. Мой резервуар дофамина полон. Я применяю Рецепт, и мое выздоровление от болезни Паркинсона идет полным ходом. Я живу своей жизнью… сегодня!! Я необыкновенный. Я выздоравливаю. Я ПОБЕДИЛ! И Я ТОГО СТОИТ!!!

13. Craig says:

Each and every one of you is winning and you are worth it!!
    I broke my shoulder and my faith is more super charged. God is good.

16. Christine says:

“Parkinson’s is curable.
    I am my own Parkinson’s cure.
    I am slowing, halting, and reversing the progression of my Parkinson’s.
    I am extraordinary.
    I am recovery.
    I am doing great!
    And, I am worth it!!!”

❤️ Thank you, Howard + all of you ❤️

Choosing to have faith in your life, when you’re feeling your worst is an incredibly powerful and mysterious act. I am slowly learning. Much love to all ❤️

18. Santiago says:

My brain cells are alive. My dopamine reservoir is full. I am doing the Recipe, and my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I am living my life…today!! I am extraordinary. I am recovery. I AM WINNING! AND, I AM WORTH IT!!! 😀😀😀

23. Mary Ellen says:

24. Maree in Melbourne says:

Love to everyone

25. Ronald B says:

Mijn hersencellen leven. Mijn dopaminereservoir is vol. Ik doe het Recept en mijn herstel van Parkinson vindt plaats. Ik leef mijn leven… vandaag!! Ik ben buitengewoon. Ik ben herstel. IK BEN AAN HET WINNEN! EN, IK BEN HET WAARD!!!

I HAVE BEEN DOING THE RECIPE FOR 2 YEARS AND HAVE FAITH IN MY RECOVERY!!!!!

28. Jonathan in Tidewater, Virginia says:

• Rosalie says:

Blessings to all! 🌟

30. Chris M says:

31. Colette says:

So grateful for you Howard, thank you!

33. Laini says:

Each and every one of you is winning and you are worth it!!

My brain cells are alive. My dopamine reservoir is full. I am doing the Recipe, and my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I am living my life…today!! I am extraordinary. I am recovery. I AM WINNING! AND, I AM WORTH IT!!! We flew up to Hamilton island in the Whitsundays QLD for 5 nights having a change of scenery . Doing my recipe with other exercises taking in the beautiful views ( life goes on ) I’m still determined than ever 😀😀😀😀