Fighting Parkinson’s, and knowing you are winning!

On January 1st, I posted that 2024 is the year of knowing. As we move forward together in 2024, I will help you elevate the “knowing” aspects of your recovery so that you may relax into knowing that your full recovery will occur some day in the future.

The affirmations that you have been copying and pasting from the end of the previous blog posts are truthful statements to help un-seat almost everybody’s first impression of Parkinson’s, which was: dead brain cells, depleted dopamine, cannot slow, cannot halt, cannot reverse, cannot cure, cannot win. For nearly a year, everybody on this blog has been reading the truthful contrary words, and some of you have been copying and pasting the truthful contrary words:

“My brain cells are alive. My dopamine reservoir is full. I am doing the Recipe, and my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I am extraordinary. I am recovery. I AM WINNING! AND, I AM WORTH IT!!!”

Today, we will take the next truthful affirmation and elevate it to a knowing that it is true!

I AM WINNING!

As you know, periodically I ask all of you to let go of your over-thinking, self-judging, self-criticizing, adrenaline-driven minds in favor of your heart-feeling, compassion-feeling, joyful-feeling, dopamine-producing hearts and souls. The feedback I receive from people I am coaching, from the greatly increased participation in the comments section on the blog, and from the emails I receive, tells me that one thing is certain: you absolutely are winning!

As you continue to move forward, please do not be afraid of being vulnerable. Being vulnerable is an important aspect of this recovery. Being vulnerable elevates I AM WINNING! to:

I KNOW I AM WINNING!

As Socrates tells Dan in The Peaceful Warrior, “A warrior is not about perfection or victory or invulnerability. He’s about absolute vulnerability.” Part of winning your fight against Parkinson’s is being a warrior who is vulnerable, admitting that you are not perfect, and knowing that your best is good enough.

Vulnerable: Open to censure or criticism.

Let’s take a look at the journey to recovery from Parkinson’s. It begins by announcing, “I have the power to heal myself. I am going to cure myself from a disease the experts say is incurable.” This alone opens you up to censure and criticism from non-believers.

In the middle of the journey, you feel better on the inside, but you are not looking so great on the outside. In the middle, you announce, “I have the power to heal myself. I am going to cure myself from a disease the experts say is incurable. I have faith in my recovery and I understand that there are times when I am going to feel worse and look worse while I am getting better.” This alone opens you up to censure and criticism from non-believers.

In the end, you announce, “I am cured.” This alone opens you up to censure and criticism from non-believers.

This is why your faith in your recovery has to be more powerful than other people’s opinions about what you should be doing about your Parkinson’s. This is why you have to stop caring what the other people are thinking about you and what you are doing.

It was my final issue from which I needed to let go, from which I needed to surrender, from which I needed to extricate from the very being I thought was Howard Shifke — and just when I let go, totally and completely, surrendering caring what anybody was going to think about me or my having cured myself, I had a shift…and my dopamine flowed, and as it cascaded down my body and through my body, I was transformed from imbalance to balance, from illness to health, from thinking to feeling, from Parkinson’s to cured from Parkinson’s.

For those who haven’t read the final section of the Parkinson’s Recipe for Recovery® because you still are thinking the Qigong exercises are all there is to the Recipe, I ask you to lose your minds and open your hearts and souls, and to not be afraid to be vulnerable. Excerpted from the end of the Recipe, here is what it looked like at the end for me:

“‘Dear God, I surrender my ego to you. I surrender my attachment to my Parkinson’s Disease to you. I am not afraid anymore. I no longer fear Parkinson’s. I no longer fear the scorn I may face by being cured from a disease the experts say there is no cure. I no longer fear the people who may say I was misdiagnosed or that I faked having the disease. I am surrendering my ego to you, that part of me that felt I needed to remain attached to Parkinson’s because the experts say once you have Parkinson’s you always have Parkinson’s. I am forgetting about my old self (Parkinson’s) and stepping into my new self (No Parkinson’s).’ I awoke the following morning with my remaining symptoms gone.”

That was nearly fourteen years ago. You can do it, too!

Fear blocks being vulnerable. You become afraid of the censure and criticism. Faith says it is okay to be vulnerable. Not only is it okay to be vulnerable, it is necessary in this recovery. In the end, complete vulnerability means completely surrendering the person who you think you are and not being afraid what the other people will think when you again become the essence of who you are, on the inside…the new you…the you who has been in there all along but who is covered up by a mountain of toxicity…chip away, day by day…be vulnerable, and be fearless.

Here is a quote Sally has shared with me:

“First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win.” Mahatma Gandhi

“First they ignore you” when you say you are going to cure yourself from Parkinson’s.
“Then they ridicule you” when they realize you are ignoring traditional conventions of what to do about Parkinson’s.
“Then they fight you” when they realize how strong your faith is and that you are actually curing yourself from Parkinson’s.
“And then you win!” Each day you are doing the Recipe, you are winning (I KNOW I AM WINNING!). Along the recovery journey, you slow the disease (I KNOW I AM WINNING!), you halt the disease (I KNOW I AM WINNING!), you reverse the disease (I KNOW I AM WINNING!) and you cure yourself from Parkinson’s (I KNOW I AM WINNING!)

Part of the winning is when you finally realize that those who ignore you, then ridicule you, then fight you about slowing, halting, reversing and curing yourself from Parkinson’s are nothing more than suffering beings themselves. Instead of being in your mind and caring what they think and then changing what you are doing, you find compassion in your heart for their suffering…and then your dopamine flows…and then you keep WINNING!!!

49 Responses to Fighting Parkinson’s, and knowing you are winning!

1. Karen S says:

Thank you, Howard Shifke. Diagnosed Jan. 5th, 2024. Given Carbidopa/Levodopa. This drug gave me headaches and nausea to the point of throwing up. I’m not on it anymore, and after reading your book of much encouragement, I won’t be taking anymore meds. For Parkinson’s, I will be starting your recipe because I’m worth it. Thank you very much.

I AM WINNING AND RECOVERY IS HAPPENING!

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the Recipe, and I know my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know I am extraordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND, I AM WORTH IT!!! 😀😀😀

5. Carol A. says:

6. Cicily says:

• Helen says:

• Brett T says:

10. Andrea F says:

Love you all!!!

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the Recipe, and I know my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know I am extra-
    ordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND, I AM WORTH IT!!

13. Gail in Tennessee says:

14. Lisa says:

Thank you, I’m RECOVERING!!! I KNOW I WILL HEAL! ❤️

Sending well wishes to all ❤️ I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the Recipe, and I know my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know I am extraordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND, I AM WORTH IT!!!

21. Don B. says:

Don B.

24. Janeen H says:

I know my husband’s brain cells are alive. I know his dopamine reservoir is full. I know he is doing the Recipe, and I know his recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, Michael will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know he is extraordinary. I know he is recovery. I KNOW MICHAEL WINNING! AND, HE IS WORTH IT!!!

25. Matt says:

I no longer fear Parkinson’s. I am a warrior who is vulnerable! I am recovery!

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the Recipe, and I know my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know I am extraordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND, I AM WORTH IT!!! 💜🌟

33. Andrea A says:

36. Roni A says:

39. Sue T-J in the UK says:

41. Jonathan B says:

Thank you Howard for what you are doing!!

42. Jose M says: