Fighting Parkinson’s, and Happy 90th Birthday Mother!

This is 2024…the Year of Knowing! Today is Sally’s Mother’s 90th birthday. Happy 90th Birthday Mother!!!

In today’s blog post, I would like to not only honor Mother, but also to share a few stories from my recovery that will show you the beauty of Mother’s soul.

To begin, Sally Mother is Nancy Ward. She is known as Mother, Nana, Great-Nana, Aunt Nancy, and to many of the people who have crossed her path, Saint Nancy…a truly special person in all of our lives.

In 2009, when Sally and I told Mother that I had Parkinson’s, she got teary about that situation. We then told her our plan for recovery, and she was 100% on board. She looked at me and said, “If anybody can do it, I know you can.” For her, it was a “knowing” just like for Sally and me. And then, life moved forward; for a while, Parkinson’s was just part of all of our lives.

Fast forward to June 12, 2010. Here is an excerpt from the beginning of Part Three of my book:

June 12, 2010 was an incredible day. Full recovery from Parkinson’s. It still feels good just thinking about it.

Also, June 12, 2010 was a bit of surreal day. Sally and I knew my recovery was real, but we held off telling anybody until we had a little time that day to sit with it. Sally’s mother came over for a visit that day and we decided to not say anything because we were still grasping the full recovery ourselves.

Sally walked outside with her mother when her mother was leaving. When Sally came back inside, she said, “Mother told me that you look particular well today. I thought, ‘Mother, you have no idea!'”

Again, Mother had a certain “knowing” that things were different…in a good way!

About a week or so after my full recovery, we were having a visit with Mother. She told me that during my recovery, somebody had told her that I needed to get on the medication as I was killing myself and would leave Sally without a husband and our children without a father.

I said, “Mother, why didn’t you tell me this sooner?”

She responded, with a huge smile, “I didn’t think you needed to know until after your full recovery.” (I forgot to mention, Mother has a very dry and hilarious sense of humor). Once again, her response to me showed her “knowing” throughout the recovery journey that I was going to be having a full recovery.

Thank you Mother! Thank you for your love, and for treating me like a son, not a son-in-law. Thank you Mother for approving of me to marry your precious Sally, the love of my life. Thank you Mother for being one of the only people on the planet who supported Sally and me in our decision to fight Parkinson’s.

Happy 90th Birthday Mother!!!

I would ask that all of you draw some inspiration from Mother’s “knowing,” and please let her “knowing” wash over all of you to assist you in knowing for yourselves that your full recovery is in your future.

Happy 90th Birthday Nancy!!!

50 Responses to Fighting Parkinson’s, and Happy 90th Birthday Mother!

1. Sue T-J in the UK says:

5. Cicily says:

6. Roni says:

• Gloria says:

Happy 90th birthday Nancy!!!

8. Gail in Tennessee says:

13. Karen from NC says:

HAPPY 90th BIRTHDAY NANCY!
    👩‍⚖️🎂🍨🎶

Happy 90th Birthday “Saint” Nancy!!!

Happy 90th Birthday Nancy!!!

Nancy sounds like she is and was always a smart, kind and gentle old soul. Many happy returns!

Happy 90th Birthday Nancy!!! 🦋

С 90-летием, Нэнси!!!
    (Happy 90th Birthday Nancy!!!)

22. Santiago says:

Happy 90th Birthday Nancy!!!

HAPPY 90th BIRTHDAY NANCY!!!

26. Jonathan from Tidewater Virginia says:

27. Mike P says:

Happy 90th Birthday Nancy!!!

And all the best to you and Sally. We send our love.

Mike & Bethany

HAPPY 90th BIRTHDAY, NANCY!!!!

30. Mark S says:

Happy birthday Nancy!
    And thank you Howard for sharing about this lovely lady. It really gave me pause to take inventory of all the special people in my life that are sharing this ride with me.
    The more I do this work the more I realize that gratitude is truely the coin of the realm.

***I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the Recipe, and I know my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know I am extraordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND, I KNOW I AM WORTH IT!!!

Happy 90th Birthday Nancy!!! ❤️

33. Aletta W says:

36. Chris M says:

Happy 90th Birthday Nancy!!!

What a fun and delightful blog post, Howard! Congratulations Nancy on your 90 years! And thank you for supporting Howard through his full recovery! Many have benefited !

37. Mary Ellen T says:

Happy 90th Birthday Nancy!!!

Happy 90th Birthday Nancy!!! Your knowing is an inspiration.

41. Celia in Canada says:

I am grateful!

Happy, happy 90th Birthday !!! Sorry I am late..

45. May says:

Happy 90th Birthday Nancy!

Happy 90th Birthday Nancy!

48. Kim M O says:

49. Monika says:

I hope I´m not way to late in saying: