Fighting Parkinson’s, and Parkinson’s Awareness Month 2024, final part

This final installment for Parkinson’s Awareness Month 2024 focuses on awareness of your recovery. That’s right, being aware of what you are doing, how you are doing it, and why you are doing it in relationship to your recovery.

How much of your life are you “going through the motions” without a present awareness of what you are doing, how you are doing it, or why you are doing it? Doing the Parkinson’s Recipe for Recovery® can fall into that category. Fear of some unknown future can fall into that category. Eating an entire bag of chips while watching TV can fall into that category.

To get the most out of the Parkinson’s recovery using the Recipe, pay attention and become aware of what you are doing, how you are doing it, and why you are doing it. Look inside yourself and become aware!

I have received a number of inquiries regarding whether or not I did any “regular” exercises or aerobic exercises along with the Recipe Qigong exercises. Here is my response:

No additional physical or aerobic exercises. Two reasons for this: 1. I could not do them even if I wanted to. I could not even take my daily evening walk around the neighborhood with Sally. I was too stiff, too sore, and I lacked energy. 2. As a result of 1., I adopted a less-is-more philosophy.

(This quoted material is excerpted from a previous post when I had Parkinson’s): “Less is more. When I push myself to the limits of my mobility, I tire easily, freeze more, hunch over, and experience terrible balance issues. I made the decision to move slower than my Parkinson’s permits. The results have been very good. When I walk slower, do not try to forcibly swing my arms, and concentrate on my steps, I can stand straighter and with better balance. When I walk up the stairs, instead of going every other step where I had to use a lot of upper body strength to help pull me up the stairs, I now step up and then bring the other foot to the same step. The energy to do this is minimal compared to the workout I had been going through to get up the stairs, plus, my hand rests on the railing for balance; no upper body assistance is needed to walk up the stairs.”

If you feel like you want to do or need to do other physical exercise or aerobic exercise, please do what you feel is good for you. Just a note on this: Qigong builds internal energy and stimulates the lymph system to cleanse toxins, and it does not use much external energy; hence, more energy stays inside to strengthen and heal the body.

Vigorous physical exercise also builds internal energy and cleanses toxins, but one loses a large amount of internal energy as a result of performing vigorous physical exercise. It is why the Medical Qigong in the Recipe heals slowly from deep within and why it requires faith that something good is going on inside. If you are doing the Recipe and building internal energy, and then you are using all of it to do other vigorous exercises, then no energy is left for healing. You are spinning your wheels and defeating the purpose of the Recipe exercises.

And this faith is the first step in recovery. First heal the soul (faith that you will recover and worthiness feelings about yourself), and the mind (no fear or worries that you will not recover and no self-judgment or self-criticism) and the body (physical recovery) will follow.

Which brings me back around to today’s post…being aware of your recovery.

Body. Awareness of what you are doing: Medical Qigong exercises. Awareness of how you are doing it: Slowly moving, bending, stretching, massaging, squeezing, breathing, chanting, sitting, standing, and sometimes “Standing” with no movement at all.

Body. Awareness of why you are doing it: Healing your organs, strengthening your organs, allowing your organs to function better to cleanse toxins from your body, improving your breathing, improving your flexibility, improving your balance, preparing your body for full recovery. Look inside yourself and become aware of your physical recovery.

Mind. Awareness of what you are doing: Sitting and counting your breath from 1 to 10 and starting over again at 1. Awareness of how you are doing it: Exhaling first, and then inhaling, 1. Exhaling first, and then inhaling 2. All the way to 10, and then back to 1.

Mind. Awareness of why you are doing it: Calmness of mind, clearing your thoughts, getting rid of mind chatter, taking the steps to get out of Adrenaline Mode. Normally, you inhale first, and then exhale. Normally, you keep counting to see how many of something you have accomplished.

To exhale first, and then inhale requires an awareness of how you are breathing. Stopping at 10 and going back to 1 requires an awareness of how you are counting. When you are concentrating intently on how you are breathing and how you are counting those breaths, everything else goes away. Your mind quiets, and you become aware of calmness. Look inside yourself and become aware of how good it feels to have a quiet and calm mind.

Soul. Awareness of what you are doing: Having faith in your recovery. Awareness of how you are doing it: Having faith in yourself in deciding you will recover, having faith in the Recipe and taking action by doing the Recipe, having faith in your Higher Power to assist you by devouring your fears and doubts and to assist you in finding love and peace and joy and happiness and gratitude in your life.

Soul. Awareness of why you are doing it: To bring balance to your life, to become fully recovered in your life and your Parkinson’s, and to be alive with no fear of life. Look inside yourself and become aware of how strong your faith is, and how powerful love and peace and joy and happiness and gratitude are, in overcoming fear and worry and anger and frustration and stress.

Mahatma Gandhi said, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” In the Parkinson’s world, this equates to “Be the cure you wish to see in yourself.” Do not wait. Be aware. Live your life to the best of your ability as if you already are cured. Be that change now and be that cure.

Be aware of your recovery as it is building up inside you. Doing your best to act as if you already are cured is being your recovery in all that you do.

This is the new awareness of Parkinson’s:
Having a knowing faith that you will be cured!
Being your recovery in all that you do!

53 Responses to Fighting Parkinson’s, and Parkinson’s Awareness Month 2024, final part

5. Karen says:

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the Recipe, and I know my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know I am extraordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND, I KNOW I AM WORTH IT!!! Great post , thank you Howard 😀😀😀

• John H says:

11. Helle says:

15. Jonathan from Tidewater, Virginia says:

Howard, what a great post!!! You really got to the heart of the matter on what has been going on in my life with Parkinson’s Disease and my Faith Journey!

I am the cure I wish to see in myself!

Awesome post ❤️

23. Mark says:

Hello everyone. Keep up the good fight
    Mark

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the Recipe, and I know my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know I am extraordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND, I KNOW I AM WORTH IT!!! 💕

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the Recipe, and I know my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know I am extraordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND, I KNOW I AM WORTH IT!!!!

We got this, superstars!

27. Colette Q says:

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the Recipe and I know my recovery fŕom Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, I will be having a full recovery fŕom Parkinson’s. I know I am extraordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! ANÐ I KNOW I AM WORTH IT !!!

30. Gary Wa says:

31. Sally H. says:

doing the Recipe, and I know my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know
    know I am extraordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND, I
    KNOW I AM WORTH IT!!!

32. Weng says:

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine Reservoir is full. I know I am doing the recipe, and I know my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that someday in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know I am extraordinary. I KNOW THAT I AM WINNING AND I KNOW THAT I AM WORTH IT!!!

38. Paula says:

Thank you for such a powerful post today Howard it really resonated with me. Faith and love will get us through and move us forward. Fear will not. Be grateful

39. Chris M says: