Fighting Parkinson’s, and extreme temperatures 2024

In the Northern Hemisphere it is summer, and many of you have been facing extreme heat. In the Southern Hemisphere it is winter, and many of you have been facing extreme cold. Each of these weather events causes symptoms to look worse. Keep your faith and defeat your fear…you ARE NOT getting worse!

You need to realize that you are impacted by weather. I have discussed this in the past, but everybody needs a refresher as people have gotten afraid of increased symptoms over these last couple of weeks.

Parkinson’s sufferer’s in the Northern Hemisphere have been impacted in a harsh way during these last couple of weeks coming into summer. If you look in the Parkinson’s Recipe for Recovery®, in cause number 2, you will see that heat agitates wind. This means that internal heat makes you have larger tremors and internal heat causes a worse-looking set of other symptoms.

In the Southern hemisphere, the cold weather tightens rigidity and increases tremors. The body is using extra energy to stay warm. However, the Parkinson’s body was low on energy to begin with, so when the body is needing more energy to stay warm, you will suffer with increased symptoms.

In the Northern Hemisphere, the record hot weather has caused people to experience dizziness and fatigue. The difficulty with staying hydrated has caused increases in tremors and slowness. The body is using extra energy to stay mobile. However, the Parkinson’s body was low on energy to begin with, so when the body is needing more energy to stay mobile, you will suffer with increased symptoms.

This does not equate to you getting worse with Parkinson’s. It equates to a body adjusting its energy for comfort and survival. In the Northern Hemisphere, the body needs a certain amount of water to stay hydrated and to use perspiration to regulate body temperature, and it is prioritizing its energy. In the Southern Hemisphere, the body needs a certain amount of warmth and it is prioritizing its energy. That’s all!

Please know that you are not only impacted by weather, but also that the Parkinson’s body is moving very slowly inside. As a result, recuperating from the effects of extreme weather takes time, so do not be afraid.

When I had Parkinson’s, here is an example of how I realized how slowly my body was moving inside. One evening, Sally and I had roasted beets with our dinner. The next morning, Sally reminded me that beets will bring a reddish color into urine and bowels, so not to be afraid if I saw red in my urine or bowels.

It was three and four days later that there was a reddish color in my urine and bowels. After my full recovery, the reddish color from the beets appeared the same day or the next day.

I offer this story so you can understand that heat or cold has built up inside of you and exacerbated the symptoms. By the time the symptoms appeared worse, the heat or cold already had taken hold of you on the inside, but it had taken a number of days to appear as worse-looking symptoms.

Drinking plenty of water and eating cooling foods (you can go on Google and look up cooling foods) will start the process of cooling you down (or warming foods for those on the Southern Hemisphere to warm you up).

Click here for a reminder on drinking water.

Since you already are behind the heat or cold, and your body is moving slowly inside, it will take some time to catch up to the heat or cold. Plus, it will use a lot of extra energy.

It is the same as what is happening in your home — if you are using the air conditioner or the furnace more than usual because of extreme temperatures, you are using more electricity, and you will get a higher electric bill next month. Why? Because you are using more energy. The body will become fatigued as it does not have excess energy to use for body temperature regulation. That’s it.

As you have been struggling, it is important to know that your best is good enough. Not only do you need to know this, but you need to know that each day “your best” will be different than the day before. Don’t judge or criticize yourself…just do your best. And, let your faith defeat your fear.

Click here for a refresher that your best is good enough.

Click here for a refresher on faith over fear.

Be strong. We will get through these extreme temperatures together.

Here is a way to approach the situation and help your recovery: Every time you see an increased symptom, announce to the symptom, “This is caused by the extreme heat (or extreme cold). It is not caused by Parkinson’s getting worse.” Blame the heat. Blame the cold. DO NOT blame the Parkinson’s. You are getting better!

I know that any increased symptoms are being caused by extreme changes in temperature. I know that any increased symptoms are not being caused by Parkinson’s getting worse.

43 Responses to Fighting Parkinson’s, and extreme temperatures 2024

1. Lesa says:

Thank you for the reminder Howard. Boy did I feel that this week! ❤️

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the Recipe, and I know my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know I am extraordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND, I KNOW I AM WORTH IT

5. Carol A says:

7. Mary Ellen says:

8. Brett says:

15. DeAnna says:

We are ALL worth it!
    Thanks you Howard, for your steadfast faith, inspiration, and hope!

17. Brita from Switzerland says:

Thank you Howard for this reminder, now I know why I feel bad last days and the receipe seems more difficult to me.
    All the best to everyone

25. Chris M says:

Thanks for the reminder about heat. I suffer from fatigue, poor balance and dehydration. So I really have to watch it!

27. Helle says:

Thank you for this Howard. I have been getting so hot in bed that turning over has become more difficult. It’s so good to eliminate the fear that it’s symptoms getting worse. It’s hot so it’s more difficult. No problem! Accept this is the cause.

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the recipe, and I know that my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that someday in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know I am extraordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND I KNOW I AM WORTH IT!!!

Thanks for this post Howard. I definitely Got Walloped by this heat wave. It’s nice to have a reason for the increase symptoms! ❤️

33. Scott R says:

Glorious news!!!! I went to the neurologist, and the doctors said:

“Scott, I am so proud of you the way you have been handling your Parkinson’s disease. You are a great example and you are the first person I have met who is beating the disease.” The doctor did not recommend increasing the medication. I am having people, even complete strangers who have seen me but who I do not know, tell me that I have improved. Thank you everybody here on the blog. The war is almost over!

35. Timothy W. says:

37. Monika says:

Thank you Howard, I felt the effects of the heat last week!

Thank you, Howard,for your support and encouragement.

40. Maree says:

Thanks Howard
    Love to everyone

41. Jade says:

Thank you Howard and All!

43. Santosh K says: