Fighting Parkinson’s, and every day is a good day

You are alive. This is a good place to start today’s discussion. Every day that I wake up in the morning, I give gratitude for another day. I started this when I had Parkinson’s and continue this today…every day is a good day because I am here.

As I was working through my recovery, I realized that the biggest gift was having this life, so every day I began giving gratitude for another day as I got off the bed in the morning. Yes, some mornings I woke up and thought, “Oh, it wasn’t a bad dream, I do have Parkinson’s.” And then I got off the bed and thanked God for another day:

“Thank you, God, for another day in a human being. I will be the best possible human being that I can be today.” And, at the end of the day when getting ready to go to sleep, “Thank you, God, for another day in a human being. I was the best possible human being that I could be today.”

To me, every day is a good day…I am here.

I have spoken with a lot of people with Parkinson’s over the last 14 years. Many people define a good day as mild symptoms and a bad day as bothersome symptoms. Prior to Parkinson’s, there were no Parkinson’s symptoms. You probably saw most days as good days (if you even thought about it at all), and only if something really awful happened did you think it was a bad day.

Pre-Parkinson’s, if you woke up in the morning with a stiff neck and shoulder, you probably thought you had slept on them wrong. Certainly, you did not think “My Parkinson’s is getting worse, this is a bad day.” Of course not, because there was no Parkinson’s in your life at that time.

Pre-Parkinson’s, if you tripped and stumbled in public, probably the only thing you were concerned about was how awkward it looked and did anybody see you looking awkward. Certainly, you did not think “My Parkinson’s is getting worse, this is a bad day.” Of course not, because there was no Parkinson’s in your life at that time.

Pre-Parkinson’s, if something happened and you got anxious and had a panic attack, whether you shook or not, you found a way to relieve the anxiety. Certainly, you did not think “My Parkinson’s is getting worse, this is a bad day.” Of course not, because there was no Parkinson’s in your life at that time.

With Parkinson’s, many people’s response to changing symptoms, or waking with a stiff neck or shoulder, or stumbling, or having anxiety with some extra shaking is: “My Parkinson’s is getting worse, this is a bad day.” That is how you live your symptoms in fear. It is not how you live your life in faith and recovery.

The thing is this: it is the same stiff neck or shoulder, it is the same stumble, it is the same anxiety…NOTHING CHANGED, except your viewpoint.
Pre-Parkinson’s viewpoint, “No big deal.”
Parkinson’s viewpoint: “My Parkinson’s is getting worse, this is a bad day.”

You are here, and today is a good day. You are alive, and today is a good day. If you are doing the Recipe, today is a good day, and you are getting better.

If you want to recover from Parkinson’s, then you need to begin responding to life, not to symptoms. When you did not have Parkinson’s, good days and bad days were decided by events occurring in those days. And, almost every day was considered a good day unless something really unpleasant occurred.

Even if something unpleasant occurred, you may not have let it ruin your good day, so almost every day was seen as a good day. It is time to make that shift back to looking at life, not Parkinson’s symptoms, and once again seeing your days as good days. Here is a look at life after your recovery.

Post-Parkinson’s, if you wake up in the morning with a stiff neck and shoulder, you probably will think that you had slept on them wrong. Certainly, you will not think “My Parkinson’s came back, this is a bad day.” Of course not, because you will be recovered from Parkinson’s.

Post-Parkinson’s, if you trip and stumble in public, probably the only thing you will be concerned about is how awkward it looks and did anybody see you looking awkward. Certainly, you will not think “My Parkinson’s came back, this is a bad day.” Of course not, because you will be recovered from Parkinson’s.

Post-Parkinson’s, if something happens and you get anxious and have a panic attack, whether you shake or not, you will find a way to relieve the anxiety. Certainly, you will not think “My Parkinson’s came back, this is a bad day.” Of course not, because you will be recovered from Parkinson’s.

As you can see, when your mind and heart are in a healthy place, it does not matter what is occurring in your physical body — every day is a good day.

I am here. I am alive. I am doing the Parkinson’s Recipe for Recovery®. Today is a good day.

54 Responses to Fighting Parkinson’s, and every day is a good day

4. Lesa says:

What a wonderful blog post Howard! A reminder that I needed to hear ❤️

6. Sue says:

Yes!! I am here. I am alive. I am doing the Parkinson’s Recipe for Recovery®. Today is a good day.

I am here. I am alive. I am doing the Parkinson’s Recipe for Recovery. Today is a good day.

Howard, this is so true. I say the same prayers that you mention at the beginning and end of each day. Thank you for stating it so clearly.

10. Soo Peer says:

13. DeAnna says:

Yes, Howard! I am here. I am alive. I am doing the Parkinson’s Recipe for Recovery®. Today is a good day.

We are ALL Worth it!
    All of our Dopamine reservoirs are full!
    We are all winning!

Thanks you, Howard, for being an inspiration!

15. Helle says:

18. Monika says:

Thanks Howard – your message is as if you had heard my thoughts this morning :-)

I am here. I am alive. I am doing the Parkinson’s Recipe for Recovery®. Today is a good day!!

21. Colette from France says:

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the Recipe, and I know my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know I am extraordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND I KNOW I AM WORTH IT!

23. George says:

25. Carol A. says:

26. Jade says:

Thank you Howard and Everyone!

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the Recipe and I know that my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know that I am extraordinary. I know that I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND, I KNOW I AM WORTH IT!!!

29. Marjolein says:

Thanks so much for you care Howard!

32. Graham S in England says:

34. Weng says:

To all the PD warriors out there, you are doing well! You are an inspiration!

36. Janeen H says:

Michael is here. he alive. He is doing the Parkinson’s Recipe for Recovery®. Today is a good day.

38. Virginia S says:

I am here. I am alive. I am doing the Parkinson’s Recipe for Recovery®. EVERY DAY is a good day.

40. Jamie S says:

It’s a good day!!
    Thanks Howard

43. Maree says:

Thanks Howard
    Love to everyone

44. Waseema says:

45. Lex says:

46. Santosh K says:

48. Svetla says:

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the Recipe, and I know my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know I am extraordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND, I KNOW I AM WORTH IT!!! 🙏🙏🙏😀😀😳

50. Alice says:

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my dopamine reservoir is full. I know I am doing the Recipe, and I know my recovery from Parkinson’s is happening. I know that some day in the future, I will be having a full recovery from Parkinson’s. I know I am extraordinary. I know I am recovery. I KNOW I AM WINNING! AND, I KNOW I AM WORTH IT!!!!!!

51. Helen G says:

I am here. I am alive. I’m doing the recipe for recovery. Today is a good day.

I know my brain cells are alive. I know my divine reservoir is full. I’m doing the recipe and I know my recovery This happening. I know that Some day The future, I will be Recovering from Parkinson’s symptoms I am extraordinary. I know am recovery. I know am winning and I know I am worth it!!!

52. Michael P says:

Yet another brilliant post on your part, Howard! You are exceptional in your wisdom and a true Master in guiding us!

53. Gary W says: